The problem is that the landscape of digital marketing is evolving so fast, you don’t know the best way to utilise the tactics at your disposal. That’s why, it’s important to understand the psychology of being an effective digital marketer. In essence, this means being a digital thinker.
Digital Thinking, therefore, is the most effective way to understand how to market your business without ever having to know precisely what’s going to happen next. It has five core elements:
1. Speed – technologies are evolving fast so you need to accept that you cannot know everything before you act. You must act on the basis of the principle of sufficiency (i.e. when you have sufficient information to make a marketing decision then make it!). On the basis of the feedback you get, refine your actions – but do so quickly! If you wait before you have ALL the information you think you need, you will become a victim of ‘Analysis Paralysis’.
2. Simplicity – your brain (and those of your advisors and consultants) can only process a limited amount of information. Therefore, you need to keep your objectives clear and concise, your reporting and analytics to the minimum necessary and your research only to what is essential.
3. Experimentation – Digital Thinking means prioritising experimentation above planning. While plans can act as a guide to the direction you should be taking, they are usually obsolete before they are completed. Plans are made with taking sufficient account of variation and cognitive biases. The Prussian General Carl von Clausewitz put it brilliantly:, “Plans never survive contact with the enemy”. Plans can never be more more than provisional suggestions and as long as you can navigate the biases trying to convince you they are more than that, you will be free to receive the information you need to change your course of action – quickly!
4. Collaboration – you can never have a marketing team big enough to cover every aspect of the digital landscape, which means you must outsource to external agencies and consultants to guide and support you. Successful collaborations are those based on the principles of Digital Thinking, especially the willingness to experiment freely about the best tactical means to achieve extraordinary customer experiences.
5. Adaptability – in a fast-paced digital environment, you have to adapt quickly to changing circumstances. One (or most likely more than one) of the daily developments in digital technology will impact on your business. Find out about it before your competitors do and act on the information you discover – even if it means taking an unexpected tactical direction.
Digital marketing is complex because it has to deliver extraordinary customer experiences in an unpredictable, rapidly evolving technological ecosystem. It also has to manage unprecedented volumes of data using a brain prone to biased decision making.
Digital Thinking is the best way to make that marketing effective and we have proved it for more than 20 years both in the UK and countries across the globe.
We have been at the forefront of the blend of marketing, technology and psychology that enables our clients to deliver extraordinary customer experiences and the wide-ranging commercial power such experiences bring with them.
To find out how we can do the same for your business
call us on +44 121 725 3966 or email email@example.com