Lead generation is a key objective for marketers. But it is also a difficult and time-consuming task. Surprisingly, only 10% of marketers feel that their lead generation campaigns are effective.
In this blog post, we will discuss 10 tips for creating a successful lead generation strategy. We'll cover everything from data management to social media marketing, and we'll even give you some tips on commission structure!
1. Having the correct data
This is essential for lead generation. You need to know where your leads are coming from, what interests them, and what their needs are. HubSpot provides a streamlined and simplified way to manage your data so that you can focus on generating leads.
By monitoring all sources of data, you can get a clear picture of what's working and what isn't. This allows you to make changes to your campaigns accordingly. PPC, social media, organic traffic – all of these channels should be monitored in order to optimise your lead generation efforts.
Keep your data organised and up-to-date so that you can make the most out of every lead generation opportunity.
2. Have the tools in place to track your leads
Make sure you have the right tools in place. A HubSpot portal that is fully set up and being used to its maximum potential can make a big difference to your lead generation campaigns. It can help you focus on tracking a prospect’s activity online, deliver marketing content tailored to their interests, and in a nutshell, help companies attract visitors, convert leads and close customers.
Google Analytics is also essential for analysing website traffic and reporting on audience behaviour. HotJar can be a valuable tool for visually seeing your website pages and understanding where users are clicking and how far they are scrolling on your pages.
Ensure that you are able to track return on investment and allocate budgets by using measurable and trackable channels to entice your leads, whether you’re using your website, social media or email.
3. Focus on quality over quantity
Sales teams should always focus on quality over quantity. It's not worth spending time on unqualified leads, and it's important to do your research to target audiences that are most likely to buy your product. Do your research to ensure that you target businesses that have a high chance of buying your product or service. By doing this, you'll increase your chances of making a successful sale.
4. Grading structure
It's also important to have a grading system for your leads. You can stream your activity into short-term, mid-term and long-term to create a rolling pipeline. This will help you prioritise your efforts and make sure you're working on the most promising opportunities. Leads can be graded based on factors like budget, timeline, and fit. Short-term leads are those that are ready to buy now, while long-term leads may take months or even years to convert. By focusing your energy on the right leads, you'll be more likely to close sales and achieve your goals.
Don’t forget to nurture your leads, educating your potential customers with relevant content to move them further down the sales funnel.
5. Monitor your competition
If you're not keeping an eye on your competition, you're missing out on valuable insights that could help you take your business to the next level. By monitoring what your competitors are doing, you can stay one step ahead and use that information to create more effective ads and lead generation strategies. Don't let your competition get the upper hand - start tracking them today.
6. Take risks
Risk-taking is an essential part of any lead generation strategy. You need to be constantly on the lookout for new prospects, and always be ready to seize opportunities when they arise.
Organisations undergoing change are often excellent targets for new business. If a company has recently undergone a restructure or merger, they may be in need of new suppliers. This is where you can step in and offer your services.
Of course, not every risk will pay off. But the important thing is to always be prepared to take them. By doing so, you’ll maximise your chances of success and keep your business growing.
7. Structure your commission scheme
A commission scheme can be a great way to motivate your sales team and encourage them to sell more. However, it is important to structure your commission scheme in a way that reflects the skills and effort required to secure new business as well as managing existing accounts. This will ensure that your sales team are motivated to sell effectively, and that they are rewarded for their efforts.
If you structure your commission scheme correctly, it can be a powerful tool to help you grow your business. By incentivising your sales team to sell more, you can increase your revenues and expand your customer base. So, if you're looking to boost your sales, make sure that you put some thought into how you structure your commission scheme.
8. Social media
Social media is not only useful in terms of boosting brand awareness and interacting with customers, but also for bolstering your sales pipeline:
- Share content – publishing content to direct traffic to your website is the most effective way to generate leads through social media. Post links, share blog posts and offer discounts to get people clicking onto your site
- Build a loyal following – get to know your audience online, and share information to demonstrate your expertise. Get involved in LinkedIn groups relevant to your business. Once you have a relationship, a connection is more likely to trust you as a supplier
- Engage in dialogue – don’t focus your posts solely on your company, but interact with others and always be helpful. When a prospect is ready to buy they’re then more likely to come to you.
9. Capture information on your website
To generate leads from your website you need traffic. There are a huge number of techniques you can use to get people to click on a website, but a few basics can make a big difference.
- Use forms to capture your leads’ data – in particular, smart forms help your build your database. Chat bots are also a great way to capture emails. See this post by Mobilemonkey.com for more information.
- Make your calls-to-action as effective as possible – place them above the fold and be clear about what you want people to do.
- Create compelling landing pages so when people arrive at your site, you increase the odds of conversion.
10. Automation and opt-in
When used correctly, emails can be an effective, and cost-effective, way to generate new business. Focus on an opt-in strategy to ensure you are GDPR compliant and don’t forget to include a link to unsubscribe.
- Send relevant, valuable offers – offers need to feel exclusive and provide useful information
- Include a clear call-to-action – make sure the prospect knows what you want them to do
- Link to a landing page – where the prospect has to provide their details
- Follow the form with a thank you page – ensure that additional content is available, and don’t forget to include social media sharing buttons to encourage leads to share and generate more leads.
So there you have it, 10 essential tips for a successful lead generation strategy. It’s important to remember that generating leads is only the first step in the marketing process – you still need to convert those leads into paying customers. But if you follow these simple steps, you’ll be well on your way to filling up your sales funnel and growing your business.
Get in touch with our team today if you feel like you need some help putting this all into action.